Monday, April 4, 2011

Blown-Out-Twist-Out

In preparation for my sister's baby shower, I suddenly decided to do something that I haven't done in a LONG time....almost 3 years long. I actually took the blow dryer to my own hair. All I can say is... It wasn't pretty. After an hour of pure torture, I had a completely blown out fro. It went wrong for one main reason; I used the wrong tool. All I had to straighten with was one of those paddle brushes with the little plastic balls on the tips of the teeth. It. Was. A. Hot. Dayum. Mess. I don't want to know how much hair I lost, but I won't think of it that way. Lets just say that all of the "strong hair" that made it through is worthy of being on my head at this point... :/ So anyways, after I finished the blow out I sectioned in four, and twisted each section with raw shea butter. The next morning, I awoke to the biggest, fluffiest twist out I have ever had. I've always known that I needed to blow out my hair to achieve this, but I am so anti-heat that I couldn't bring myself to do it before now. Throughout the day my hair continued to expand to the fro you see at the top of this post. For once, I can truly say that I have big hair! YAY!! In order to preserve this, I have to re-twist each night and I'm alternating between raw shea and organic coconut oil each night. I part with my finger and don't use any combs at night to minimize breakage. The pic below is me on day 3, early AM. We shall see how long I can keep this up before I have to co-wash again. For the heat I used, it better make it two weeks! This will be a great spring style, but I will have to give it up in the summer because it would be a catastrophe with the hot weather.



***UPDATE***



So it's the end of the workday and my hair is swelling. The pic below is at 4:30pm. I will post another update just before bed...I'm sure it will be huge and wild by then for sure. LOL!


4 comments:

  1. It looks really nice. I think i need to invest in a good blow dryer. I want the versatility.
    And i love big hair as well.

    NIce layout

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I need to invest in a good dryer and curved paddle brush, too. I'm looking forward to rocking this through the spring again in the fall.

    I've been playing with the layout and the log banner at the top, so it's nice to hear that someone likes it...Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your hair is BEAUTIFUL!!

    I'm in my 2nd month post BC and I hope to have hair like yours one day.
    Thanks for all the wonderful info on the 4b's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Anonymous- Thank you! How long did you transition before your BC? You will be there before you know it, but patience is the key. I know people hate hearing that, but it really is the best advice that I ever got on this journey :)

    ReplyDelete