Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Betonite Clay Mask and Avocado Honey Deep Treatment

As promised here are the details of my natural clarifying and deep conditioning session. I first clarified with betonite clay and used a homemade avocado treatment to moisturize...All I can say is that I am a true believer in natural, kitchentician concoctions doing wonderful things for natural hair. I will outline my steps to each process below. Keep in mind that I have a 4-inch TWA, so adjust amounts as you see fit...you will need more for longer hair.
Betonite Clay Mask

You will need:
  • 3 heaping tablespoons of Betonite Clay (I purchased mine from a natural seller on e-Bay for about $3.75/lb- Lasts FOREVER!)

  • Water (as needed)
Process: In a small mug, I gradually added water and stirred continuously until I had a pretty thick paste. It is nearly impossible to get all of the lumps out, but they smooth into the hair pretty well so don't worry about it. Afterwards, I wet my hair completely but did not use any other products, ie. shampoo or conditioner, and sectioned my hair into fours. Then I started gobbing on the Betonite clay working from front to back until every section was coated, covered with a plastic bag so that it wouldn't dry out, and commenced to doing some housework.


About 30 mins later, I rinsed in the shower, and it rinsed right out for the most part. The plastic bag kept it from drying in my hair, which made it easier. I could immediately feel a difference in my hair; it was softer and I could feel that the curls had a lot more spring and definition. Most importantly, it was CLEAN and it didn't feel dry or stripped. LOVED IT!!


Avocado & Honey Deep Treatment


You will need:
  • One ripe avocado (the skin should give under slight pressure)

  • One tablespoon of honey

  • One tablespoon of oil (I used soybean, but Extra Virgin Coconut or Olive Oil would be best)

Process:
I halved the avocado and removed the pit, scooping all of the pulp into a mug. I added the remaining ingredients and stirred very well to try and get the lumps out, but it was still somewhat lumpy. I sectioned in four and applied all over and covered with a plastic cap. Then I wrapped my hair in a steam towel and covered that with a dry towel to ward off any drips. About 45 mins later I rinsed and noticed a few strands of the avocado pulp were stuck in my hair, so I re-rinsed. There were still a few little white strings hanging on in there, but I didn't care at that point. All I could do was stare at my hair..how clean it was and how nice and smooth it felt from root to tip. I didn't even want to use a leave in, but I know better than that...so I added some HE and oil and rocked a wash-n-go. This will definitely be a once a month session for me.


You ladies should try it and let me know your thoughts on it, too!!

No comments:

Post a Comment